The first inhabitants of European descent to settle in the area was the Fox family of Philadelphia. These original owners were descendants of George Fox, the founder of the Quaker religion. His grandsons, Samuel Mickle Fox and George Fox, along with brothers-in-law Joseph Paker Norris and George Roberts, bought what amounted to 6,600 acres in 1796 from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This area was located between the Clarion and Allegheny Rivers and later was known as the Fox Farm. It was Samuel’s son, Joseph Mickle Fox, a practicing lawyer, purchased 1800 acres from his fathers estate after his fathers death. Joseph had already married Hannah Emlen and was ready settle down on the property he had spent many summer vacations during his childhood.
Dedicated in 1910, The Hannah Fox Memorial Library became a cultural meeting place for those in the community looking to enhance their knowledge as well as enjoy concerts, plays, and lectures, which still place to this day. The library today is now known as the Foxburg Free Library.
One of the first golf courses in the United States was built in Foxburg with the efforts of Joseph Mickle Fox in 1884 after discovering the game during a trip to play a cricket match in Scotland. On his return, Joseph had a five hole course built on the family farm, but after seeing its huge success, it was then moved to its present nine-hole site in 1887, thus establishing the Foxburg Golf Club. This golf course is now recognized as the oldest continuously-operated golf course in the U.S., which also houses the Golf Hall of Fame.
Other Foxburg attractions still grace the area such as the Episcopal Memorial Church of Our Father, The Hannah Memorial Library, and the Foxburg Golf Club – all testaments to the dedication of Fox family to the community. The Episcopal Church, built by the Fox Family in 1881 and dedicated in 1882, was an architectural design based on a Gothic church Hannah Fox had seen during a visit to England. Like the Fox mansion, all stone used for construction came from surrounding hillside quarries. A painting above the alter depicting the “Angel of the Resurrection” was created by the famed artist, Edwin H. Blashfield. The church courtyard cemetery still contains the burial plots of several Fox family members.
Book a room with us so you can explore this wonderful town! Call 724-659-3116 and visit our Facebook.