I have compiled a list of what I feel are the most outdated wedding traditions, and i’m interested to see what you think as well!
1. The White Dress – Many dresses are now ivory or cream, some brides are even choosing to wear colored dresses.
2. The Superstition – Is it really bad luck to see each other before-hand on your wedding day? I just like the groom’s facial expression when the bride begins her jaunt down the aisle to him.
3. The Cake Smashing- Maybe it’s just me, but I do not want a face full of cake.
4. Changing of the Bride’s last name- Many women now, mainly professional women are keeping their maiden names, or even hyphenating their maiden name with their husband’s last name.
5. Lighting of the Unity Candle – There are other ways to go about showing your Unity. Sand Ceremony is absolutely gorgeous and makes for an excellent keepsake!
6. Seating Of The Family On Opposite Sides- I have seen many signs that are posted at weddings that try to keep the families away from doing this. “Please choose a seat, not a side.”
7. Instead of throwing Rice, what else could we do? – I say we shoot off confetti cannons!
8. The very traditional “I ____ Take you ___” wedding vows. – I feel that its rather endearing to write your own personalized wedding vows.
9. Tossing the Bouquet and Garter – How many of us really believe that those who catch these are the next to get married?
What do you think?
Head on over to our Facebook page to vote in the poll I have there, feel free to comment and maybe even get a discussion started!1